How to Clean Carpet
When you’ve invested in a new carpet for your home you’ll want to ensure that it lasts a long time. In order to promote the longevity of your carpet it’s important to follow some simple care and maintenance tips. We’ve put together a short guide to help you care for your carpet and keep it looking its best:
- Vacuum regularly – The most effective way to clean your carpet is to vacuum it regularly. It is recommended that your vacuum your carpet two to three times per week, and daily in high traffic areas like hallways and gangways. Make sure your vacuum is well maintained and up to the job, i.e. the bar should be free of lint and fuzz, and any blockages should be removed as they will affect its suction power.
- Rugs and mats – In high traffic areas it’s beneficial to cover the carpet with a mat or rug. For example welcome mats can be placed in doorways that lead in from outside so that people can wipe any dirt or debris off their feet before it gets trodden into the carpet.
- No-shoes zone – One of the best ways to protect your carpet and keeping looking as good as new is to operate a no shoes policy. Ensure that everyone who enters your home removes their shoes at the entrance. This way there’s no chance of dirt making it onto your carpet in the first place.
- Spot clean spills – If some liquid such as juice or wine gets spilled on the carpet start by mopping up as much of the liquid as possible with a dry cloth using a blotting action. A little water and white vinegar should be sufficient to treat most stains, just remember to blot rather than scrubbing.
- Don’t scrub – As mentioned above, when dealing with spills it’s important not to scrub the carpet. This damages the carpet fibres and allows excess water to get into the carpet pad where it can form mildew and start to smell.